View Single Post
Old 4th August 2021, 08:35   #10
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
That was an interesting read, thank you for adding the page from the Lunar handbook. I read the PDF before I read what you posted. Your post confirmed what I thought I understood from the pdf.
I had thought just by plugging caravan into car the habitation relay knocked off the caravans 12v but it seems not from what both you and the pdf say.

Just as well my Tourer has both pins 9 and 10 as ignition live. I am not sure that without changing the 12 core I'd ever have discovered the caravan was wired or seems to be wired incorrectly. Servicing never picked it up but is it something that a service engineer would look at? Would a service engineer check the cars towing electrics?

Some years ago I did find one the the caravans 12v aux sockets was wired reversed but that was an easy swoop

thanks again the the Lunar page

macafee2

Servicing potentially could have picked this up with his test equipment but would say that a more in depth test will be carried out on the external lighting as a legal requirement
Is it possible that someone has actually changed out the 13 pin plug at some time .
As it stands you have belt and braces with running PINS 9 & 10 through a switched live which will protect your car battery while connected up

I would think you could probably sort the problem out by following the following steps

1, Energise interior lights with caravan battery .
2, Connect caravan to car (needs permanant live to do this )
3, If caravan lights go out (Relay energised) swap PIn9 to PIN10
4, If caravan lights stay on , switch ignition on to energise relay ,
5, If lights go out that means PIN10 correct
6, Once above correct disconnect caravan from car

To check PIN 9 permanent Live

7, Disconnect caravan battery ensuring both terminals are air gapped
8, Connect caravan to car Car should now power caravan lights etc without caravan battery
9, If not , switch ignition on , if lights work ,that would indicate the caravan is getting power from PIN10 .(This should not happen)
10, Disconnect car from van and reconnect caravan battery

step 8 should be your last step . unless some wiring is adrift in the caravan and would mean testing further .
Hope this makes sense . I'm interested to see what you find but all of the above can be done from the 13 pin plug
The last lunar I owned I actually swapped the 12s and 12n plugs to a 13 pin plug to suit the electrics on my car with no issues

Last edited by TourerSteve; 4th August 2021 at 08:42..
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote