View Single Post
Old 24th February 2011, 20:50   #10
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
The rear window is bonded in, the trim that goes round is purely there to cover the recess and the bead where windscreen is bonded to the body.

It offers minimal (if any) weather protection
Granted, however the mountings that retain both the lower seal and the bottom of the rear window trim have clips that pass though the body, items 7 & 8 on this image

this is item 8 which has a clip that is only sealed with a bit of foam

I had a similar leak to the OP but on the other side of the boot, I've managed to reduce the leak by replacing/reparing a couple of the rear screen trim mounting clips and attempting to seal them in with silicone. Two problems with full replacement is that a couple of the parts are NLA and it looks darn near impossible to get them out without removing the rear screen.

The water gets in under the rear screen trim, lies in the gap between the screen and the lower seal trim, then finds it's way through the mounting clips below the rear screen and finally into the void under the parcel shelf and drips though any gap. What I find annoying is that it's only the retaining clips at the bottom of the screen that pass through the body, the ones at the corner of the screen are stuck on and all the upper ones clip onto a small mounting welded onto the body.

What I intend doing when we get another dry day is to seal the lower part of the rear screen trim to the rear screen with silicone and hopefully if I stop the water ingress there I'll stop the leak.

In an ideal world I'd probably replace all the rear screen trims and clips etc at a cost well in excess of £150 but most of the parts are NLA or on back order.

Regards
Jim
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote