View Single Post
Old 21st June 2019, 14:06   #9
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSun View Post
Slightly different but tyre related. Tomorrow I am changing my 4500 mile old with 6mm front and 7mm rear tread left on Avon ZV7s. All have cracked between the treads and are to be returned to Avon under their 6 year warrantee.

Avon have acknowledged that it is a problem they are aware off and is caused by the EU stopping tyre manufacturers using certain products in the compounds. This is causing the tyres to loose elasticity and crack. They told me that they "think" they have resolved it but will not know for 2/3 years when the problem shows up. However they said as the tyres are guaranteed for 6 years replacements are covered less any wear. So its not so much a problem with mid to high mileages but lower use second cars etc.

Because of their not being 100% I've opted to go for Kumho ES31, rated B grip and B fuel economy against A grip and E fuel on the Avons for a similar price. The tyres were purchased within 3 weeks from two retailers, one has already paid out for them, the others will pay out a refund once they have been sent back to Avon and assessed.
So, this is presumably why Michelins are suffering from the same problem. This is the last summer for my Michelin Primacys because of the same cracking. Our new 75 has Nokian tires, which I have read do the same cracking thing. Maybe it is time to buy Yokohama, Kumho, Sumitomo, Toyo, etc, Japanese or Korean tires for the next while until the EU manufacturers fix what broke.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote