View Single Post
Old 27th June 2019, 13:56   #49
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I suspect you are right, but that does not make my views or that of the broader minority any less valid.

I think this is where my views different from most other "older people". Whilst our generation have consistently worked and paid into the "system", we have also consumed at an unsustainable rate and continue to do so. As a result the legacy that we shall be passing onto the younger generation is one of a debt ridden society leading to a hard and harsh life for the majority. This in my view is worthy of some personal sole searching and where necessary corrective action.

There is no need for anyone to feel sorry for me. Quite the opposite - most would find find it difficult to believe how content I am with my life. I feel that I am performing my obligations and duties as a citizen and a father as well as anyone could and with pride. As for death, I am a bit like the Klingons in that a good well timed death will be preferable to a bad life.

There is a tendency on this forum to demonise the young whilst upholding our generation as the guardians of high standards. This is not consistent with my general observation of the young nor the older generation.
Most workers have not “consumed at an unsustainable rate” - most have contributed more than they put in.

I’m now receiving the benefits from my personal pension and savings - and only I contributed to this - no one else. Yes I did get tax relief on contributions but that was because I was not taking the income then - so not tax and nic is payable until I take the benefit.

In contrast - a civil servant pays a measly 6% but gets a fully indexed linked pension linked to salary that is paid out of today’s tax take!

So we should be careful of tarring all with the same brush.