View Single Post
Old 5th May 2021, 16:26   #25
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozo ken View Post
Don't know if anyone read what I put in the last thread about sills,but someone mentioned that the saloon body panels weren't available to get accurate impressions of the sills to have just the sill section re-manufactured,well I found on Rimmer's,they still have the tourer side body panels and they should be the same sill section,pricey but,fit for purpose I should imagine.
When mine needed doing(I live too far from Tom) so I bought a cheap gasless mig and made some cardboard templates and made my own,did a bit of welding practice first,then welded them in,with the drain/jacking pad hole,,after a bit of tidying with angle grinder,then a small skim of fine filler,completed job looked good.

It's still cheaper to buy them from Tom, I ordered mine through Ebay on Friday evening and they arrived today via ups.
I intend to fit them myself but I'm sure any garage could fit these as they look well made.
No hammer marks ,the bends are straight and the little end pieces have been welded on , ground down and the panels primed.

I know that I personally don't have the skill to make anything as good as these , and that's with welding up quite a few rusty cars for at least 20 years.

Stan