Old 25th May 2017, 17:05   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic22 View Post
No & No
All function ok other than pressure in the tank so coolant is not cycling around- - -
It's not possible to verify coolant circulation other than by the way it controls the running temperature. There's no circulation through the header tank, so an apparent lack of flow there is meaningless I'm afraid.

From what you've said, the temperature gauge seems to be working and will provide important clues. Does the gauge sit at 'normal' (9 o'clock position) when driving? If so, the coolant is circulating. This fact is unequivocal. If there were no circulation, the gauge would hit the red line in a few minutes.

Pressurisation of the header when the engine's running is a natural consequence of the sealed coolant system getting hotter. The hotter it gets, the higher the internal pressure. The system runs quite normally up to 22psi or so using a '140' pressure cap. It's designed to do that and the cap shouldn't be touched other than for checking the fluid level when the engine is completely cold.

I honestly think your concern about the sensor harness is unfounded, unless there's another temperature related issue you've not mentioned.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote