View Single Post
Old 20th April 2024, 02:27   #174164
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Just got back in, Eight bloomin' hours it's taken & when I went to pick her up the place was still choc-a-bloc. It's no wonder people aren't keen on going to A&E unless absolute neccessary.

The X-ray showed she had fractured her hip but they said it'll heal on it's own & wont need surgery,
She saw the social services people & they gave her two new Zimmer frames, one for upstairs & one for downstairs plus a new commode chair.

She got lots more painkillers to cope with the pain too.

It'll be ping meals for tea, Meatball lasagne & a garlic baguette.
Ian, that’s shocking news about your wife.

In comparison, last year when Jessica fell in the car park at home in Bristol. She was fast tracked in A&E.

Yes, a broken hip - the neck of the femur was completely fractured. She was admitted and 3 days later she had a total hip replacement.

Jessica was given the option of a partial hip replacement or “do nothing and let it heal without surgery, but there is risk of living life in a Zimmer or wheelchair”.

She said she was young, active and still had mountains to climb, so the doctors agreed they would do the Total Hip Replacement.

She had to wait for the op as there were people needing urgent surgery who were older and sicker than she was, the older and sicker had priority, no problem with that but by the time there was a slot for Jessica’s op, she had become very ill.

8 days later she was discharged home. I had to give her anti blood clot injections for 28 days and fortunately there were no post op complications.

9 months on since her hip replacement, Jessica no longer takes analgesics and she doesn’t walk with a limp, there is no need for crutches.

Your wife will need an urgent assessment for home care, usually provided by the community physio to set it up and she will most likely need the electric raised hospital bed.

I doubt she will be able to manage stairs, she will need a raised chair to sit on, a raised toilet seat commode and other mobility aids. These are provided by the NHS

Last year our lounge was converted into a hospital bedroom, as we went through all of the above at home.

A broken hip is very painful and my heart goes out to your wife and to yourself. We are sorry you are going through this. If it gets worse or if you or your GP suspect complications, go back to the hospital for a second opinion for another look.

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 20th April 2024 at 07:16..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote