View Single Post
Old 29th September 2012, 15:04   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

My three (well two, the centre bolt was missing) fixing have been seized since I got the car and sorting them out has been something I've been intending to do for a while.

What I noticed on mine once I had eventually removed it, which no one has mentioned, is that there is a water trap in the duct just to the rear of the bellowed section. There is a full width 'sump', with a drain hole in the bottom.

Anyway, today I got a roundtuit....

Centre bolt was missing, but the two outer ones were completely seized and the brass nuts just turning in their rubber surrounds. My only option was to drill the two bolts off, but I managed to snap my pilot drill in one of them so I had to carefully grind the head off. The grinding wrecked the flange of the rubber, which left me one short.

I managed to clean up the threads of the brass inserts with tap, to reuse the damaged rubber unit, I fitted it in the centre hole, but made it stay put with some hot glue. Three new bolts, a good coating of copper grease and it is all back in place.

Idea was, to make it quickly removable should I need to and get my first good look around the front of the engine since I got it. Once off, it make access between the rad and the engine much better.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote