View Single Post
Old 15th September 2011, 00:06   #10
gregbuchanan10

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3807 View Post
Have you considered that the fuel filter (in the passenger side of the fuel tank) may be coming unscewed ?? Simple fix is to screw it together and fit a clip (known as the 'orange clip' because of its colour) which anchors the two parts of the filter together. Takes about 45 minutes to access and fix and the clip cost IFIRC about £7 from any X Part dealer.

The effect of the filter working loose is much as you describe. Low fuel pressure (which is sometimes mistakenly and expensively diagnosed as fuel pump failure), Bad running followed by reluctance to start followed by total non start although engine does turn over on starter.

If you search the forum for 'fuel filter' or 'orange clip' loads of info should show up since it is a very common problem.

The original type of fuel filter was a one piece bit of kit which could not unscew. The design was changed to the two piece variety sometime in 2002 so without knowing the manufacture date of you caR I cant say for certain which filter is fitted to your car - but it is worth a check for 45 minutes of your time and cost of £7 clip if needed.

HTH
I managed to spend half an hour getting into the tank to check the fuel filter which was my number 1 thought but just as luck goes it is the old style unibody filter not the one requiring the "orange clip". Back to the drawing board I guess.
gregbuchanan10 is offline   Reply With Quote