View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2022, 16:55   #97
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Finally set about doing the job today seeing as it's been unseasonably warm & sunny again. It went perfectly! My only slight concern had been getting the oil cooler pipe off the stud but after some careful examination whilst resting my head on a brick, I figured it out and it popped off with no argument.

Wifey duly assisted with starting the car while I monitored the flow from the stud via the clear plastic pipe into a 5L petrol can. It's a good steady flow rate - nothing ridiculous and really easy to watch the level rising in the can. It took around 25 seconds to pump 4 litres which is where I screamed STOP and was told there was no need to shout. Just making sure....

The old oil was well stinky and black. I changed 7.75 litres in the end including a small overfill which was drained via the level plug. Took the car for a 10-mile run and as with most other people, it's soo much better.

So thanks again for this great How-To, Einar. It's still paying dividends after 9+ years.

Dougie.

NB: My oil cooler is the newer type i.e. water-cooled with the two stubs at opposite ends, both facing upwards unlike Einar's photos above. Not a problem in itself, but the stub on mine was 12.5mm OD as Simon measured in post #87 above. So the pipe I used was 15mm OD and 12mm ID.

Maybe the older stubs which Artic measured above were smaller, I don't know. So my 15/12mm pipe fitted snugly (although I used a temporary hose clip just in case....).
• Built 08/02/2005 @14:57 hrs: Registered 26/08/2005
• 122nd of 141 built that day
• British Racing Green Pearlescent (HFF)
• Sandstone leather with black piping (SPJ)
• 137,000 miles

Last edited by goltho; 4th January 2022 at 19:09..
goltho is offline   Reply With Quote