View Single Post
Old 10th September 2019, 18:53   #8
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Don't get me started, I had a good one today. A classic car owner had an exhaust manifold leak and he gave the car to his local garage with the gaskets a couple of weeks ago. They rung him to say it was taking longer than they thought as a couple of the nuts were seized solid. He got it back the following day with a £480 bill. 2 miles from the garage it started leaking again so turned round and they said the manifold must be distorted.

Today I got started on it and though it odd that there was a lot of exhaust cement around the manifold joint, I undid all the nuts ( some were very seized so needed some heat) and I removed the manifold. No sign of a new gasket and I reckon all they had done was put some paste around the joint and let it dry ( hence needing more time).

Total job time 3 hours including cleaning the manifold joints and cleaning all the threads.

The owner is going back to the original garage with the photos so it will be interesting to see what they say especially given the excuse for needing more time.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote