View Single Post
Old 13th October 2020, 08:27   #9
ianM
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5L V6 Saloon; Rover 214i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Ian,

I agree with Stocktake's advice. It does sound related to a tensioner (whether timing belt or ancillary belt). It's therefore very worrying that you've had work done in this area today.

Please check that whoever renewed the timing belts (1) used the proper service tools (2) replaced the tensioner and idler pulleys if the mileage was approaching the MG Rover interval of 90,000 and (3) followed the INA instructions for adjusting the tensioner pulley (these are NOT in any MGR publication).

The noise you've reported when the engine is cold is a classic sign of incorrect belt tension (I've had this myself on the ancillary belt). Please report back.

Simon

Hi Simon, thanks for the post. I've had the noise since I bought the car (and had the belts done twice since then), so it's nothing new, and so I don't think it's anything related to the work done. The work was done by Summit Garage, who seem to know what they're doing when it comes to these cars

I didn't realise the tensioners could make a metallic grinding sound, though. Sounds like it's worth checking out. Any tips on how best to try and figure out if they are what's causing the noise?
ianM is offline   Reply With Quote