View Single Post
Old 24th January 2020, 11:55   #2
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

My brother has a TF and says that the car is supposedly very sensitive to tyres. I find it hard to believe, but might be due to mid engined layout?

Also a rear drive car can be "tail happy". A previous 325 tds I had stepped out with me doing no more than 25MPH as I went over a wet drain cover. I got straight 5.9s from the onlookers as I contained the four wheel drift! This was due to low tread and afterwards with new tyres was good as gold.

The recommended tyre was a Goodyear that is now out of production, so the best option now seems to be the Toyo.

Regarding the tyre choice for our cars, I have had Uniroyal RS3 and they are wearing as yours has. Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think all modern tyres are softer and wear more if they are quieter and better in the wet. If you go for a dodgier handling tyre it might last longer, but you will find the hedgerows are your friend!

If I read it correctly tyre manufacturers self certificate their tyres, just like VW did. We all know how that ended up.

I think you take tyre ratings with a pinch of salt and go for a reasonable brand at a a reasonable price.

I like to hope the more established brands than a "Chung Li" or "Rip more" will test their tyres more fairly and be a better comparison.

Last edited by first-things-first; 24th January 2020 at 12:01..
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote