View Single Post
Old 24th January 2020, 12:36   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogweed View Post
Now please don’t take this as an invitation to deliver a lecture around the topics of “You get what you pay for” (you frequently don’t, in my experience), “Buy cheapo tyres and expect to crash” etc etc. My little TF nearly killed me a few weeks ago, when it did a 180 on a gentle bend on a damp road, threw me up a steep bank, stood on its tail and nearly flipped over backwards, and that was on expensive Continentals.

Get to the point, Roger… OK, over the (many) years, I've had all sorts of tyres fitted to all kinds of cars, from a NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- little Daihatsu to a couple of M3’s. I’m now in my 10th year of Rover 75 ownership, and had a lot of tyres which have lasted a much shorter time than I expect.

Most recently, I’ve had budget “Landsail” tyres fitted to the rear wheels – and, after about 12,000 miles, there’s very little meat left on them. They might make 20,000. Wear on the n/s tyre is somewhat uneven, so the car will be booked in for 4 wheel alignment when I get a chance – but the o/s one is very even, but still worn maybe ¾ of the way down.

Note these are the rear tyres, which I’d expect to last forever – and that, as I’m getting on a bit now, I chug around very gently in the old bus.

When I pick budget tyres, I look at the EU A-B-C rating, and Landsail were pretty good. I also read various review sites, Pistonheads etc, and again people seemed to reckon they were fine – yet here we are, not long to replace them again.

I can’t seen any reason why a gently-driven front-wheel-drive car should eat rear tyres, so does anybody have any recommendations for tyres which will last a bit?
I have had tyres from that company I told you about (kerrs) , I forget what they were called, but lost grip in the wet quite easily. But didn't wear. I swapped them front to rear after 18 months and ultimately changed them after 2 and a half years with 22000 miles on them. They were level and still had around 3mm tread front and slightly more on the rear. They did the tracking at the same time, all 4 wheels needed some adjustment.

2018 I replaced the tyres for zeta alventi (I think), and whilst they are wearing quicker at around 12000 miles, they are only half way down. But more importantly the grip is shockingly better. Still wearing level. Again they did the tracking at fitment, however only charged half price as they only adjusted one corner the slightest amount.

I have read the tracking is the key for rear tyre wear. Particularly doing the rear first then the front.

Granted mine is a zt with 3 year old suspension, I still think the tracking could be the issue for you.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote