View Single Post
Old 12th February 2022, 18:13   #15
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad View Post
I had a Clarke cordless impact wrench for a few years but it was not really man enough to undo the wheel nuts when they were very tight. The last time I used it the battery expired right in the middle of replacing some front discs highly inconvenient! When I tried to replace the battery yes you guessed it NLA.

I therefore decided to replace it with an alternative make so I purchased a Kielder KWT - 012 which has a rated torque of 700Nm. It is compact and lightweight but there is no way it reaches anything like 700Nm. I sent it back to Kielder and they issued a report "Torque test carried out at 315Nm on a 22mm fastening and took 2.5 seconds to undo".

I was using it to remove the hub nut on an MG RV8 their explanation was that it was probably wedged on, I don't get that. The recommended tightening torque is 235NmI and even if it had been overtightened I still think it should have removed it. Had to use a breaker bar to remove it in the end. I would have expected an impact wrench rated at 700Nm to have removed it. I think their rated figure is somewhat optimistic. Therefore I am not impressed so my advice would be to avoid this make.

Martin
All manufacturers 'over rate' their wrenches - check out reviews and tests on youtube for them. When they claim 700nm, this could actually mean tightening torque (I think most quote this), and basically this could actually be continually tightening a nut or bolt starting with a full battery until the battery dies! (it is a ridiculous and unfair claim, but not necessarily false unfortunately)

undoing torque figures should also be quoted in the specs, and the majority that I watched seem to be effectively half the advertised torque figures (in real life tests I have watched).

I tried a comparative and very unscientific test. My kielder 002 will undo the wheel nuts after I tightened them (but not driven on) to 150nm (via torque wrench). It did it after about 30 seconds. The parkside (lidl) one did another bolt tightened to the same rate slightly quicker, but quite a bit noisier.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote