View Single Post
Old 10th March 2017, 13:28   #7
Forestgreen
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6 saloon

Unless super unleaded also starts adding 10% ethanol I can't see the problem to be honest. Whilst it's true (I think, based on what limited internet reading I've done) that the Rover 75/MG ZT will be harmed by filling up with standard unleaded E10, I can't find any suggestion that super unleaded will become 10% ethanol.

As E10 is less efficient/contains less energy than standard, it jolly well ought to cost less per litre, just as super unleaded costs a bit more. However, super unleaded gives better performance and better fuel economy, so what is key is not how much it costs to fill up a tank but how much it costs per mile driven. With something like Vpower a tank will cost you more, but it will get you further before the next fillup. Overall therefore there's not much difference, if any, in costs between standard and super unleaded. (On one of my previous cars I measured it at about 1p a mile cheaper to run on super unleaded than standard; with the Rover I've measured it at about 1p per mile dearer, and around 25p of petrol per mile overall.)

Conclusion - don't worry. So long as super unleaded stays at 98, then it doesn't really matter how much ethanol goes into regular petrol as there is no real benefit in not using the super version.
Forestgreen is offline   Reply With Quote