View Single Post
Old 5th November 2019, 16:49   #6
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
We once had a loft tank with a ball valve and there came a time when changing the rubber washer did not fix the problem entirely because the seat of the valve it sealed against deteriorated with age too. We changed the valve and all was well but we eventually opted to replace the system with a new one and a combi boiler. Given what you have said about access and maybe your health and age previously Steve it might be worth considering getting someone in to do the job for you. I find myself doing this more often as time goes by because where the mind is still willing the body often protests quite strongly - and for quite a while after when I get it wrong.
Its a slightly weird, hybrid, system. Mains water feeds a combi boiler, kitchen etc, the tank seems to only feed the cold tap on the bathroom sink and toilet, maybe the shower as well I object to getting someone in for what is a simple job, its just getting at the bl00dy thing, dumb idea to put it at the back of the tank! The valve is entitled to be tired, it probably dates from when the cottages were originally renovated about 50 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
If you can see the rafters (do you really mean ceiling joists?) you have not got enough insulation!!
No, I can't see the joists but I know there's no flooring in that area. When we inherited the place from my parents there was only a small floored area in the middle of the loft but I increased the size for more storage space.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote