View Single Post
Old 26th February 2022, 17:24   #17
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Hello Dougie, have you tried to find a code sticker or a colour marker on the rear springs? There's a PDF with the original MGR spring data here* (if you can get it to open or better yet, understand it): https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/ind...epage=techdata . Failing that, I believe the Rimmer website has it. Regarding shock absorbers, and assuming they are fully operational, they won't alter the body height. It's the springs that determine the loaded height/ground clearance. The shockers simply accomodate themselves to the distance between their mounting points without providing any significant lift. The factory springs code/colour was originally on a printed sticker on the floor under the rear seat. These do tend to deteriorate over the years, but many remain like new. Basically, on a level road surface, the lower edge of the sills should be horizontal as seen in the MGR drawings in Post 7. I doubt that raising the rear end will force the front springs down. However, the body will of course pivot on the front axles and the nose will droop a bit. I believe you can still get factory coded springs if you plan on making changes.
TC
*EDIT: Just remembered, you need to be a subscibed member to access the tech data files.
Thanks for all that. Yes, I'm aware of the sticker and the colour-codes, and I do have the data on that pdf. Also aware of the dampers not providing lift and therefore not being relevant to the ride height issue (but again thanks for the pointers ). The damper at the rear nearside is only mentioned in the context of the bang issue.

I wasn't sure of the effect of having the too-high rear springs on the low front ground clearance, and one member above reckoned it may well be caused by it. I was exploring that thought, hence the further question.

I'm planning to take the wheels off, jack the car up, make careful measurements of the unloaded springs, and try to find tech data relating to the few colour coded springs which relate to my car. If I'd got the data and opted for OEM front springs when I changed them, I'd at least be sure the front was right. But I couldn't, and didn't.

Dougie.
• Built 08/02/2005 @14:57 hrs: Registered 26/08/2005
• 122nd of 141 built that day
• British Racing Green Pearlescent (HFF)
• Sandstone leather with black piping (SPJ)
• 139,000 miles
goltho is offline   Reply With Quote