Thread: Belts
View Single Post
Old 14th November 2016, 08:45   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Do the belts need changing again ...
Here's my unpopular, but I feel logical, approach to this question Phil.

No, they don't need changing again.

The belts have a life of 90,000 miles. This is stated in RAVE. It also says that if removed, they can be refitted if they've covered less than 45,000 miles.

The six year period is simply 90,000 miles divided by MG Rover's idea of the annual mileage covered by the average driver: 15,000 miles. This figure is chosen to be competitive in the new car market, not for engineering reasons. By this calculation, a driver who covers 10,000 miles p.a. can leave them for nine years.

The belt material does not spontaneously self destruct, or deteriorate simply by existing. Consider the 75 in the Gaydon museum. It is 17 years old. It is occasionally moved under its own power, for example a couple of years ago at a club event, with no problems at all.

Service schedules also list that items such as sparking plugs and air filters should be changed on a time basis. These things should be renewed according to their condition, not the passage of time. It is clearly ridiculous to throw awayan air filter which is not dirty.

I renewed the cambelt on our daily driver earlier this year. This car spends its life in stop-start motoring. I observed the mileage interval. The belt was thirteen years old, older than recommended by the manufacturer. It was in perfect condition. I posted a report on the forum about this. There was very little interest. One member said: "Ah, but it could have broken tomorrow" and that sums up the real reason for blind belief in the six year period: fear.
If you're the sort of person who buys more and more insurance policies because a good salesman convinces you that disaster is just around the corner, then you'll shell out for belt replacement.

I doubt that I have convinced you, have I Phil?

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 14th November 2016 at 08:47..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote