View Single Post
Old 6th November 2006, 13:15   #11
Rincewind
Loves to post

MINI Cooper S Works (Superchardged not Turbo!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglaslt View Post
If I remember correctly, someone was toying with the idea of changing their ZT 260 suspension to 75 V8 suspension to make it softer. It would mean, among other changes, taking out the diff dampers which (in Nic's opinion and I'm sure he's right) would result in axle tramp.
Tom
Correct Mr Tom, taking the diff dampers off the manual version will probably introduce axle tramp back into the "fold". For those that don't know what tramp is a simple explanantion would be when the rear tyres break traction, the axles try to "walk" the car forward by gaining grip on one side then the other and so one as the diff "tilts" so to speak (Morris Minors were very good at it apparently!). The diff dampers keep the diff tethered down for example and stop it from happening.

The autos didn't need them as the transmission loads are different.

NVH wise, Tom is correct again, the boom in the rear of the car was very nasty at about 30 mph in the Autos so we added the middle silencer. The manuals rarely got a boom from standard rear boxes as we "took it out" but the X Power boxes put it back again from about 50 mph onwards and it was very obvious from 70mph.

The NVH wasn't mucked about with in the 260's if anything we put extra in around the drivetrain but other frequencies etc may cause the odd pocket depending on gear, road speed and so on.

Nic

The difference is, when you shout, "Where's my clean socks?", no-one answers

MGR stories, MGR help and advice all available at no extra cost !

The Two Sixties - it's a V8 thing ... Honorary Member and Puddle of V8/4/6cyl Knowledge et al.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Come see who I work for at www.vca.gov.uk without us, the world would be a right mess!
Rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote