Thread: Disappointed
View Single Post
Old 11th January 2019, 16:59   #21
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Given how long our cars have been out of production, I would guess that the best that OEM can mean is the part meets the OEM specification. In reality, it probably means that consideration has been given to the OEM specification.

This in my view would still be better than a generic aftermarket part where it is highly unlikely that OEM specifications/requirements have been considered in most cases.

It would be interesting to know whether a SNR and a FAG part is available in an SNR marked box and under the same part number.
The original design was of the type as I pictured as a NTN/SNR.

When you look at bearings manufactured by machining mild steel as opposed to drop forging, there is a reason for this and the answer is simple, they are manufactured to a price, not manufactured to the sort of standard where you might expect a decent service life.

So anyway, what makes the difference between something like the FAG manufactured one pictured originally, and say THIS.....the clue being the wording used in the advert

" This item is the Genuine MG Rover part - as fitted at Longbridge during production, made by SNR (France)"

Now I happen to know Mat dabbled with some wheel bearings of the machined steel type, and now doesn't, as I fitted one to a rather nice 75 tourer, it lasted for 1500 miles
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote