View Single Post
Old 23rd January 2019, 20:51   #9673
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
Well my clutch is finally sorted out to my satisfaction thanks to the loan of Brian's easy bleed The garage back in November diagnosed the master cylinder was leaking against me telling them fluid around the pedal was off me topping it up to search for a leak. They fitted the part and I had a pedal again and my warranty paid the bill so I took the car home. Then next day I took the car for a run and the pedal failed again after 7miles ! I had the car recovered again telling the reception staff it was the slave as I told them originally . They again diagnosed the master cylinder saying it was a faulty part . They said they had road tested the car after changing it again and pronounced it fixed …………………… the pedal was back on the floor in 7 miles ! I took the car home without a clutch and the next day I told them to come and get the car when I was at work in case things got heated on my part !

This time they changed the slave but I was without the car for over a week while they waited for ramp space ( the wife was using our auto Connie by now) Eventually they rang me to collect the car . I paid the excess on the warranty and went to the car to drive home...………..the steering wheel and trim were covered in oily hand marks and the old clutch master diaphragm and filler cap dumped in the door pocket ! I started the car and couldn't get the gears as they hadn't bled the clutch properly ! My mate who works at the garage, who had been on holiday whilst this saga was taking place, calmed me down and stopped me from marching into the workshop, gave me the keys to his car and made me go home whilst he sorted it out. He bled it as best as he could so it was now working, he cleaned the car inside and out and reset the tracking as the steering wheel was left out of alignment and he brought it home for me . By this point I had other worries to deal with as my wife had broken her arm in a nasty fall so the car was just parked up and I used the Connie. Last week Brian called over to do a job on the Connie and got me to compare the clutch on his ZT against mine and agreed it needed bleeding properly and loaned me his kit. The pedal is like the clutch on a Japanese car now and after a bit more tinkering with the steering column bolts to reduce vibration the car is nice to drive once again.

The garage if you're wondering is a main dealer that takes in other makes and not a back lane outfit who probably would have done a better job
Ah super stuff Pete, at least it's sorted now.

I'll have to bob over soon, as I need to bleed the clutch on Mats's car.......it was typical he contacted me the day after I'd left the bleeding kit at your place

I managed to sort the FBH pipework out, and it's all plumbed in now.......but more of that over a cuppa methinks

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote