View Single Post
Old 21st January 2018, 22:53   #34
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

OK guys here's what Ive done, and ill put a proper guide and report with pics up for people after ive finished.

Ive modified the Xtrons. Most of the inside is fresh air, therefore the metal and plastic at the corners where it touches the lugs poses zero issue. Ive removed EXACTLY the right amount of metal and plastic so that its 100% identical thickness to the OE fitments. (well to the nearest 1/10th of a mm)

Now, this has made it a million times better, but with the application of a little grease around the hole and a mirror, I see my excellent modification job clears the little tabs, but still wont go back the full way. (nearly though)

With a little more grease as a tracer, I see that the hole has remnents of where its not been cut properly from the factory at the sides, and there are "shards" of about 1-2mm wide and about an inch long either side and they touch the very edges of the unit.

What I will do is tidy up the hole and take off these rougue bits, and that should be it!

Heres a pic stolen off the internet of what I mean...

You can see the little bit that are not quite cut out properly above the two tabs, these need a little shave down, then the unit will fit perfectly.

My modification clears both tabs, as I could see with a mirror, and also an application of tracer grease showed none of the tabs were touching the headunit in the area I modified.

Im quite pleased with myself, as the result looks like its been made like that from the factory. Something I always strive for when doing ANYthing on any car.

So I will do a guide for Xtrons people, but it DOES involve breaking the warranty sticker, taking the lid off, so you can unscrew the plastic front and do the job right, and not bodge it and leave metal filings inside the unit.

Still, its the RIGHT way to do the job, maybe sellers could add on a fee for pre-modification before selling to ensure a 100% original looking fit.

I cannot say anything about Navalls or anyother unit, only the Xtrons

I think it's safe to say these dash holes were probably cut by someones mum, or perhaps a chimp at the factory.. I mean.. check this guys hole.... (insert rude joke here)

There are not even attempts at little tabs like most of them, just a wavering saw line!! What an abomination! Guarantee you'd never see that on a German vehicle. At least mine has two distinct squares that someone bothered to try and make look professional, so there is that at least. If it was like the above... I would have quit while I was ahead and just returned the unit.

Last edited by T16; 21st January 2018 at 23:07..
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote