View Single Post
Old 24th October 2018, 21:20   #28
gozo ken
Avid contributor

R75 SALOON

Thanks Simon,
I have changed the reverse piston and refilled with the correct spec fluid,then checked when at the correct temperature.
The reverse piston was totally sheered in two,,I can only surmise that something else within the gearbox has been damaged,maybe when I tried to limp home ,about 1/2 mile,but in a hilly area, when I first experienced the problem.
I know it might be a minefield when trying to source a dependable box,but feel its the cheapest option.I can do a 'pin out' test as well as look at the colour of the fluid,I could even whip the side plate off and check the sensor for iron filings.
Having read so much about these earlier boxes,fitted to other vehicles,as well as our 75s,,I would aim for a 2003 or later one with reverse piston and a few other little modifications done to it,and chance it.

And Nick,,yes mine had filings around the magnetic sensor and the fluid was awful,I did replace the fluid when I bought the car about three years ago.I've had no problems with it until the reverse piston broke''.

Regards Ken.
gozo ken is offline   Reply With Quote