Old 31st October 2019, 09:18   #2
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMPARKER44 View Post
Hello all,

I have had my car for 9 years now and it's done 180k. 2 years ago had problems with muck in coolant, coolant loss and excess smoke from exhaust. The heater also didn't blow hot air. After taking it to a garage ended up having the head gasket replaced and new injector O rings. That fixed those problems....apart from the heating, still blowing cold. Had the air-con filled up and all ok there now. Now it's Winter windscreen gets very wet and freezes inside and heater only kicks in when I accelerate over 2400 rpm and it's not that hot even then.

I have read about thermostat, heat exchanger, air in coolant system etc....but before I do anything can anyone guide me to what checks I should do in which order to fix this please? I don't want to waste my time taking the heat exchanger out and cleaning if it's the thermostat etc..
First thing I would do is check the heater matrix,,Get the car warm turn the temp up on the ATC and feel pasenger side and driverside vents for hot air.If you find the passenger side cooler than the drivers side it could mean the matrix needs flushing out.As they tend to fill up with silt. You have already said you have had muck in the coolant

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote