View Single Post
Old 18th February 2021, 23:19   #12
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firmus Piett View Post
I'm trying to get an extra spare key, with fully working fob.
All I have is my one working one.
The bloke I have always used tried but couldn't do it as when he plugged his equipment into my cars OBD port under the dash, my car wouldn't communicate with his coding system.
He showed me.
When he tried to code his new key, it just said error, so he couldn't finish it.
He thinks there is a fault with my cars ECU or locking system.
He says you can have five keys at once coded to the car, and when he tried to select slot 5, it would send it, so car wouldn't recognize the new key.
I'm trying the BMW route as I do have my cars spare key code in my paperwork.
A couple of points to note, the man who thought he was going to code the key throught the diagnostic port doesn't know what he is doing, the EWS3 unit must be removed from the car in order for it to be read

Secondly these cars never had a key cutting code supplied from new period, unlike the other MGR models, instead any replacement keys were ordered though Xpart/BMW off VIN, the replacement arriving both pre cut, and fitted with a transponder programmed to the next available vacant slot in the EWS making them operate the immobiliser section of the car without programming.

The EWS has ten slots for key transponders, and the BCU four slots for key remotes, two of which are occupied with the original keys, and the oldest slot being overwritten after the forth is occupied........i.e after the car has already had two extra replacement keys.

Hopefully this clarifies things a bit for you, Trikey will I'm sure let you know after you fuel him up with biscuits

Brian

P.S. EWS is an abbreviation of Electronische WegfahrSperre, or drive away protection, and the immobiliser section of the car is entirely standalone from the remote central locking
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote