View Single Post
Old 25th February 2021, 20:06   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Yes. The incendiaries dropped and all of the close packed wooden buildings resulted in a firestorm. More died than initially at Hiroshima.
The Japanese mentality at the time was by our modern standards unspeakably cruel. That cruelty was returned in spades. No-one can be proud of what happened. War is not a sensible way to solve political differences, especially for the cannon fodder the elite send in to settle their arguments and the collateral civilian damage that also results. The largest ever nuclear weapon tested was a 50 megaton (Russia) We now 100 megaton bombs which are over 6000 times more powerful than the Hiroshima bomb. I really don't agree with anyone having a weapon like this. It's just wrong somehow.
you take your fists to a fight
next person takes a knife
and the next takes a gun

Would you pick a fight with any of the other 2? If not, then that is a reason for having a more powerful weapon. Does not mean you intend to use it but it is a deterrent from attack. Problem is when the person with the more powerful weapon strikes first.

War is not nice but sometimes you have to fight.
From a badge I bought over 40 years ago "Wars will cease when men refuse to fight"

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote