View Single Post
Old 10th September 2015, 17:40   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Some days back I posted this problem most noticable on my (just purchased) 55 plate CDTi, built 16/3/2005 (Thanks Reebs!).

Members sent a number of suggestions which were all welcome and I have now followed them all up. The front wheel tracking has been checked and is fine. I have had replaced (at some expense!) the steering rack and also had checked the steering column end bearing which was OK.
Sadly, no improvement at all. The top and bottom engine mount "acorns" on the driver's side were also checked for perishing and/or glycol leakage, but all fine.

So am stumped and a few hundred quid the worse off.......Arghhhhhh.

I have been advised that there is a Steering Vibration Damper part fitted as standard until 2002, but removed under the dreaded Project Drive. It was sited behind the steering column air bag. I will try to seek one out on the "Parts Wanted" thread.

So my plea goes out again for any other ideas/suggestions? Hopefully this sad tale might be instructive to those with a similar problem. In the meantime, I shall be crying into my Adnams Ale tonight.......ED
I just fitted a new crank pulley to mine and I notice a greater vibration in the engine, I think it may not be perfectly centred...
I will try redoing it this weekend, but it could be somewhere else to look if your pulley is starting to go...