View Single Post
Old 12th May 2021, 23:01   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
I’m not a materials science expert by any means but I was told by a very knowledgeable man who certainly was an expert in aircraft wing design that any wing type structure that did not flex had a short life until it broke off or broke up.

Not sure how any wing type structure can not flex?
F1 wings all have deflection built in, for the reason you describe, but these have proscribed tests, and obviously they have to meet these requirements. There are various directional load tests - I havent read of a pulling load test, but I imagine there will be, as the forces pushing on it would be massive, and therefore any breakage could be catastrophic to a following car. I remember teams experimenting with flexible wings that flattened under load to reduce drag (mainly the front). These were tested for and outlawed. However, I do reckon they are capable of finding loopholes either via interpretation or by manipulating known material properties.

It is interesting who leaked it publicly though - Hamilton, a non engineer, 'mentioning' it. It gives deniability to Mercedes, but at the same time, winds up the Red Bull team. This is a tactic Red Bull have used in the past, add a little doubt, puts scrutiny on the accused team. If it is proved incorrect, then it can be denied as Hamilton misunderstanding a debriefing comment. It is without class, in my view, but that is unsurprising.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote