Old 2nd December 2019, 10:42   #55
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello again Alan,

It seems to be generally accepted that diesels produce much less heat than petrol engines. You say that your coolant reaches only 72 degrees so a functioning standard 88 degree thermostat is never going to open on your engine. So no, I would not suggest that your thermostat is faulty.

I am indeed taking Jim's "driving style/situation" into consideration. He reported low coolant temperature at motorway speeds in November's climate. That indicates over-cooling and that can happen only if the thermostat is faulty.

For many reasons I am not convinced that use of the heater has a significant effect upon coolant temperature. i know that you and others will disagree with this.

I'd rather not become involved in a debate about the diesel when what we need to be concentrating our minds upon is the KV6 of which I do have relevant practical experience.

Simon
Limited to your own vehicle.

I only mention my own being a diesel before you suggest it being a factor. I ha e owned petrol vehicles and different diesels over the years, but the laws of thermodynamics and physics apply equally to them all. Simple observation of the temperatures during heater use will suggest a slower warm up time.

I will go back through the post to find the motorway speed reference. How long was this journey for etc?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote