View Single Post
Old 20th December 2019, 12:32   #15
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBG View Post
I see that my coolant is a rust colour! Does that mean it's pink OAT?
OAT antifreeze is (usually) red or pink or orange in colour according to the manufacturer. Coolant should also be clear. By that I mean see-through like tap water, but coloured. If it's cloudy it needs replacing. See your Haynes manual for doing this.

Quote:
Might take a proprietory leak sealer with me as well. Don't really want the ignomony of being rescued.
No don't. Get rescued if necessary.

Quote:
I think my fan isn't working. I'll do the demist test when I come back from Leominster (see end of post) and have read other threads on this topic.
It's a simple five minute job. You need to know before a long drive not after.

Quote:
Build up to 88C and then a sudden jump up to 114C drop back down to 88C. Things got very erratic, mind you I was in the dales and at one point romping up a 1 in 5 in third gear. Basically variation between 90C and 112/114C.
Fir a cool running diesel that only means one thing, insufficient coolant is circulating. In other words, it's got air in the system. You need to top up and bleed as described in Haynes before doing a long trip.

Quote:
When I parked up on return to village 102C and while idling went round the front and fan stationary. Hoses very hot but is was pouring with rain and didn't scarbble around for the bottom hose. Radiator itself didn't feel hot on the fins.
Which again indicates the low speed fan isn't working (ref Demist Test) and there's not enough coolant in there.

ADD: For a diesel at this time of year, a full and air-free cooling system is actually more important than a functioning fan. Especially if you have to travel but little time to prepare. Many diesel owners drive around for years not realising their fan doesn't work. A dodgy aircon output is the usual sign. For low coolant, it's usually poor cab heating. Overheating to 114C suggests you have way too little.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 20th December 2019 at 12:39..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote