Thread: Tailgate strip
View Single Post
Old 15th September 2020, 15:34   #3
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Hello Buster12,
I have the part you are referring to already removed from the main body of the tailgate. To get at the part you want to remove,
Remove all the lining of the lower part of the tailgate to gain access. Open and raise the tailgate. In the centre is a drop down cover held in place at either end by two fasteners, just turn these 90degrees, they will only go one way to allow the cover to open. Inside, you will see two screw which secure this storage facility to the tailgate. Remove them and take the panel away.
You should now have access to the inner parts of the securing the bottom section and see 8 nuts securing the lowest section of the tailgate to the upper part. There are 4 in the middle and two at either end set obliquely. Undo these and the bottom box section will be freed.
On the inner side there is a moulding held in place by 6 small screws that run along the coloured edge that folds under the bottom. I have removed the 6 on mine, but still can’t split the two sections apart. Looking at the inner side, where all the bolts are, there are other spikey things with flat edges protruding through rubber washers. Ignore these.
Finally, at the very outer side of the of the larger cavities, there is a Philips screw, which at present I can’t free. This should release you’re the two halves.

I will come back once I have freed the two parts and hopefully the painted strip.
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote