Thread: Tailgate strip
View Single Post
Old 17th September 2020, 08:50   #7
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Hello Ken,

How are you keeping? Hopefully you are free from the the coronavirus, but not the rust bug it seems.

I had bought the whole tailgate for the window and then took off all the removeables including the bottom section. Having got "the box" off the upper part of the tailgate, I just put it with my other spares collection. When I saw the entry asking for help, I decided to separate the inner and outer sections.

The hardest part was the two tiny philips screws, one at either end, both in a tiny recess. They were both beyond unscrewing, but I managed to prize open the underneath middle sections, screws along the underside easily undone, and block it open. I tried accessing the screws with a hacksaw, but there wasn't enough room so I used a long-handled wide bladed screwdriver to "twist" them apart, only damaging the inner section which could be repaired with "hotmelt" plastic. I already had a kit to repair the rera light unit fixing brackets

Regarding your question about drainage, whenever I open my tailgate, after rain, I get some water running out of 1 drain-hole at either end . the only way water can get in there is through the join betweeen the bottom "box section" and the section above it, or,
If your number plate is screwed on rather than stuck on, water could get in through the screw-holes. you have a rubber sealing washer on the screw below it's head but nothing behind the number plate and the bodywork. your decals are stuck on. Finally, could the water draining from around the tailgate window seal, flow over the vertical sides? and then drop to the base of the tailgate.

I still haven't sorted out getting the pictures on to entries.

Best wishes,

Geoff.
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote