Thread: Transparency
View Single Post
Old 28th November 2020, 11:03   #6
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
There will always be more to these things than meets the eye.

For my opinion, anyone who holds a position that is voted for by the public - MP's, local councillors etc. should have their full finances published for the 5 years before they take office and for a further 5 years after they leave. Any evidence of "contracts for the boys" or other shenanigans should be thoroughly investigated with the punishment being personal bankruptcy.

If a life in Public Service is such a wonderful thing then honesty, transparency, decency and truth should be part of it.
At local level this is over the top. District and Borough Councillors complete Declarations of Interest (pecuniary or other) annually, and have to state whether they have any to declare at every Committee and Council Meeting. I have been a Borough Councillor for the past 18 years, including as Mayor, and I have never come across any malpractice or skullduggery. I always have found it very offensive when we are accused of receiving brown envelopes and the like (particularly as a member of the Planning Committee) - I have never even claimed expenses (and there are plenty), and they are published in the paper annually. Do not tar the many with the faults in the few.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote