View Single Post
Old 28th September 2021, 08:55   #6
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
The folks that believe that the art of driving should be dragged down to the level that an imbecile will be able to do it.

Why would you bother with all that revs/clutch biting point/hand on the handbrake and hold and release and balance the power and clutch ...... and off you go up the hill when some gizmo can do it all for you?

And the bean counters will love you 'cus it's just bolt a bit on and connect it up to the electrics without all that faff (i.e. cost) with brackets and cables and the like.

And the recovery firms love it 'cus if when it packs up it locks the wheels solid you're well and truly stuck (been there, done that).

And the dealers love it 'cus the replacement parts are £££'s and then there's the labour at £££££££££££'s and the electronic wizardry to set it up and make it all work at more £££££'s (fortunately mine was under warranty but I saw the internal invoice ).

As my old Physics teacher used to say....QED.
There's a lot of tin foil hat stuff going on around here lately.

It is just seen as progress - there is no agenda or conspiracy to make more money.
I am sure the technology and components behind an electronic handbrake are actually more expensive to produce than a conventional mechanical parking brake hence why 'base models' and cheaper motors on the market today are still using a hand operated parking brake.

Don't forget, the vast majority of drivers on the road do not and will never do maintenance on their own vehicles so they couldn't care less about how easy it is to service their braking system.

If they break down, they will call their recovery service and it will be the recovery operator who has to worry about how to move the car.

Consumers just want the latest technology in exchange for their coin and a push button rather than a hand operated lever is seen as the 'in thing' so naturally, it will be adopted widely if that is what the majority of consumers seek.

Many features have been introduced to cars over the years that were seen as unnecessarily 'increasing costs and reducing reliability' such as when disc brakes replaced drum brakes or synchromesh started to be built into run of the mill gearboxes.

It was all in the name of progress whether it was asked for or not, it became standard and the industry quickly caught up and the technology was developed, improved and made affordable and more serviceable.
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote