View Single Post
Old 8th March 2020, 21:03   #16
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Good news, except for the price. Couple of questions - won’t the standard plastic curved and straight pipes fit this metal thermostat? I’ve replaced about five thermostats and all were down to failure of the main internal thermostat.

Don’t really need a new temperature sensor either, and have successfully re-used the old clips. Guessing that the kit comes with fitted O rings, so don’t really need the spares either. The gaskets of course I would need, are the black ones better than the green ones?
The other parts do fail - when my thermostat failed at 102k, the main housing and insert were fine, the curved pipe had cracked and split causing catastrophic coolant loss (others members have had this too) and one end of the straight pipe was breaking off upon removal.

The failure of the curved pipe was probably due to repeated movement caused by the weight of the coolant hose clipped to it, which can bounce up and down as you drive over bumps.

I have also had a temperature sensor fail, after I again had catastrophic coolant loss when a hose split.

I personally would do the job once, using the best possible parts.
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote