View Single Post
Old 21st July 2021, 20:32   #9
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

As others have said try to use branded spares were ever possible .

A lot of those manufactures have supplied MG Rover with genuine spares over the years , The likes of TRW, SKF ,Delphi , Gates, Dayco to name a few.

As for your Head gasket , I would always preference the Elastomer Gasket over the MLS as it is more forgiving with liner heights and undulations in the head surface Apart from it obvious age failure with the elastomer the gasket gives good serviceability without a lot of problems. Premature failure is usually down to other problems such as overheating through coolant loss
K Series engines have a low coolant capacity so any leak soon manifests to over heating problems

Providing you monitor service levels regularly problems elastomer failure symptoms are easily picked up early and a few days running the car would confirm any problems I would be reluctant to change out the head gasket just as a preventative measure Unless displaying any problems

My advice would be to carry out your servicing including timing belt service , water pump, carry out good inspection of of all hoses and change coolant if no other issues are found

Last edited by TourerSteve; 21st July 2021 at 20:43..
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote