View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2021, 19:08   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
I may be a little biased on the sizes of Televisions as i work for an AV retailer selling not only Tv's but bespoke cinema projection systems both commercial and for the home use.

Quality of image is pretty much down to the quality of the original source so for instance if you are watching an old episode of Minder on Dave or a similar low bitrate channel it's not going to look great and unfortunately the larger the panel the more obvious that will become. However if you watch a HD channel it will look pretty good even though it will still not be up to the resolution that pretty much any new television over 40" will be as i'm not aware of any on the market now that are less than 4k resolution. Where these 4k sets really start to shine is when you watch a 4k Stream from Netflix or one of the other streaming services. There is also a lot of 4k content available for free on youtube but all of these sources have a certain amount of compression applied to keep the bitrate of the stream down so to see the absolute best ideally you will want to watch movies on 4k Bluray with no compression at all.

As a general rule of thumb i generally advise people that if they are going to watch a lot of movies then imagine yourself sat in your prefferred area of a cinema auditorium, close your eyes and point to where you would imagine the edges of the screen to be, open your eyes and picture that distance apart where your tv is normally positioned and that will give you a good idea of size needed to replicate the cinema experience at home.

If you are going to watch mostly normal tv then it's really a compromise of size over aesthetics in the room.

Just to add i think the most common size of Tv's that we sell is around 55"
I wrote a whole reply that seems to have been lost.
If it is ok with you I may pm you if and when for advice?
In the meantime what do you think of the LG TV's, G1 and C1?

For what its worth our settee is 18ft from the TV

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 22nd July 2021 at 19:10..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote