View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2020, 01:03   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I reckon in the future with personal conveyances (will they really still be called cars? lol) battery packs will become smaller as they are developed, with greater range (for its size). They will also be standardised. They will become standardised due to pressure from both governments and the (current) oil companies, who will push for this. Fuel has been standardised for about a hundred years now. They will become plug in devices, where you either slide your dead battery out then slide the charged one in. The dead one will then go on to be charged and be ready for the next customer. This may even become automated, but for the beginning it will be manually done, perhaps with service attendants. Again like fuel was. They say history repeats itself...........

To me, that scenario would be the only way electric cars could become 'mainstream' without becoming a huge burden on the national grid. Charging stations could hold hundreds (maybe more) batteries, continually recharging and rotating, meaning no fuel deliveries. They could also have some kind of storage system for electricity like capacitors or something? But it would mean the loading on the grid could be controlled and monitored/predicted, also there would be minimal need for a massive investment in infrastructure.

The batteries and their compartments would need to be legislated against modification, maintaining the standardisation of the batteries and reducing the risk of failures. There will be failures of course as batteries wear out (in a fashion) but these would be limited to a car or two rather than a whole host of cars (as with dirty fuel). Sportier versions or modified cars could perhaps have two batteries instead of one (á la early XJ twin tanks?). Cars perhaps could have some form of capacitor system as a reserve supply, filled perhaps with a kind of energy recovery system like F1 cars have (F1 used to help develop road car tech. in the past)

Batteries can become smaller, and more powerful (think mobile phones, in fact think electric cars over past 20 years!).

I dont think batteries are the best way forward with environmentally friendlier vehicles, but it seems the way manufacturers and govts. are going. But that will be an issue for future generations when the raw materials for batteries and power stations run out, and the cycle begins again! lol

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote