View Single Post
Old 6th January 2022, 01:03   #1
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Default My ZT is very poorly

It was all going so well! Since I got it I've been recommissioning it and since getting it MOT's I've been doing increasingly longer journeys. Got back from a 24 mile round trip which was going well until I pulled into my drive noticed steam. Temp was showing OK however when I stopped I was enveloped in a cloud so opened the bonnet and there were signs of coolant everywhere.

Couple of days later my mate over the lane said he'd take a look so went to pull it round and the clutch just sank to the floor

I'm assuming the clutch is the slave cylinder however my local mechanic won't touch that so I called around and got a quote of £461 for a new clutch and cylinder supplied and fitted. The problem is that I still have a significant coolant leak which seeing as the V is dry I'm guessing water pump so that won't be cheap either.

I think I'm going to tow it round to the local mechanic and get him to investigate the coolant leak before deciding what to do next. Worst case I suspect I could be looking at a 4 figure repair bill.

Just one of the joys of owning aging MG Rover products!