View Single Post
Old 7th January 2022, 08:30   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hello James and I'm sorry to hear that you have two problems at once with your ZT KV6.

I'll begin with my number one tip ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
... I'm guessing water pump ...
Don't guess!

In fact, I'd say it's extremely unlikely to be the water pump. Actually they are very reliable and durable. We frequently hear of precautionary water pump changes during cam belt renewal but that's only because it's such a major job to do later. It doesn't mean that the pump is going to fail. Come to think of it, how many failures do we read about? Umm .... errr ..... hmmmm .....

The sign of a faulty water pump is a slow drip of coolant at the front plate of the engine at and above the oil filter canister. This doesn't match your description. Water pump problems result from a worn bearing (very high mileage, well above 100,000) or a damaged seal (poor repair technique) or replacement with an inferior aftermarket part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
I think I'm going to tow it round to the local mechanic and get him to investigate the coolant leak before deciding what to do next.
Be careful James. Coolant leaks on K series engines are frequently misdiagnosed involving huge and unnecessary repair bills. Only in November I saved a cherished 2.5 litre faced with the threat of head gasket replacement or even a new engine when all it needed was a bit of TLC and parts costing £8.

Take heed of Andy's tip (trikey) and note his location. You may like to forget about the local mechanic idea for now.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 7th January 2022 at 08:34.. Reason: Grammar
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote