View Single Post
Old 15th February 2020, 07:47   #14
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
97, the 111 was a bit of a fiddle. Also the 97 had the spring and ball bearing to keep the socket on. The 111 as it was "home made" was just a square end. The 111 will do, so if that is all you can get or something in-between it should be fine but then of course there is the thickness of your ratchet to consider, so the shorter one would be safer.
Ok, I'll aim for 97mm for the extension bar with socket. I've got three 1/2 inch ratchets to choose from so I'll use the one with the slimmest head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Jacking the trailing arm up to re-torque may not put the suspension in the same position as it is with the car on all 4 wheels. I put the rear end onto ramps, the front was on ramps also.
I thought about this yesterday and tweaked the height of the front blocks. It's set up now so that when the back end is just lifting off the rear blocks, the front end is still resting on blocks but the whole car is dead level (as checked with a spirit level under the mid point of the sills). Isn't that the same as having all 4 wheels on and resting on the ground?
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote