View Single Post
Old 16th February 2020, 17:19   #16
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
While waiting for Amazon to deliver a 75mm extension I thought I'd see what RAVE says about setting torque on the trailing arm bush bracket bolt (#6 here).

I've set mine to 100Nm off the car because the bolt is invisible when the trailing arm and bracket are in situ. Before tightening the bolt I angled the bracket to the position I thought it would be in when the weight is on the suspension, but it was only a guess.

This is what RAVE says on page 808 (Workshop Manual Service Procedures) underneath diagram M64 0112: 4. Position trailing arm bush bracket, align to marks on casing, fit bolt and tighten to 100Nm. Caution: Nuts and bolts must be tightened with weight of vehicle on suspension.

What marks? Which casing? The only marks mentioned are on page 807, where in the left column it says: 14. Reference mark trailing arm bush bracket to body to aid assembly and in the right column it says: 15. Align trailing arm bracket with reference marks and tighten bolts to 100Nm. These obviously refer to the three bracket-to-body bolts and not the single arm-to-bracket bolt.

So what the heck are they talking about on page 808? Have I missed something?

And what the heck is diagram M64 0112? My trailing arm looks nothing like that.
The head of the bolt for the upper arm is visible from under the car.
If you have already tightened to 100, I would loosen them off once you have the car on 4 wheels and then tighten to the correct torque.
If you have had the trailing arms off then I would suspect you will need to have the tracking checked

macafee2

ignore this post I did not see when I replied it was trailing arm, sorry

Last edited by macafee2; 17th February 2020 at 18:03..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote