View Single Post
Old 21st September 2020, 14:59   #1
YMGF
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Rear shock absorber length

This is possibly a dim question but does anyone know whether the rear shock absorbers extend beyond what feels like a mechanical stop which limits their length when off the car?
My 2.5 saloon has just been going through a rear end re-build, (It must have had a hard life), and most components are new. Subframe, upper and lower arms, ARB and springs. Everything has been nipped up but not fully tightened pending putting the car on the wheels. From what I can see, all seems correctly aligned.
I came to putting the new shocks on today which I bought assembled. They have the same code as the previous, and off the car they are the same length.
However when the tops are secured the bottom fixing is approx 100mm away from the trailing arm fixing point. Jacking under the arm until the car is about to lift brings the shock mounting to with about 25mm of the trailing arm point.
It seems impossible to extend the shock any further.
I would have expected the shocks to extend as far as the suspension could travel so the top mounting doesn't act as a suspension stop? Or am I missing something? (It has been a long day!)
Would appreciate any thoughts you might have.
Thanks
Michael
YMGF is offline   Reply With Quote