View Single Post
Old 27th April 2021, 09:07   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
When restoring or replacing callipers it's best practice to replace/restore a pair, the old ones will presumably be both the same age and will have had the same usage, so even if the O/S calliper assembly, piston, sliders etc are working they may not be as efficient as the N/S, a ride on a brake roller will show the difference in efficiency between each side.

When my sons did track days they often had blue discs at the end of the day, the only thing they did at the track, but not always, was replace the more aggressive pads for normal road pads, then drove home.

Don't forget that ABS can give a false sense of security and will only operate when one or more wheels are at the point of slippage, till then, under normal braking it won't correct side to side imbalance.

I am wondering the same thing about efficiency of the two sides and it makes sense, near side moves easily, offside a bit sluggish.

I have always replaced pads in pairs or discs in pairs but never done a siezed piston in a car before.

I know changing the piston and seals should be a 5 minute job but the difficulty I had replacing the dust shield on the near side I sort of cant face doing the offside but perhaps a new set of pads on both sides and a new piston etc on the offside is the way to go or should I bleed all 4 wheels first?

Gents, I am grateful for the advice

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote