View Single Post
Old 28th January 2016, 21:29   #1392
Busboy
Loves to post

75 tourer (facelift) 2.0 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Incensed View Post
Well done on getting the response, even if it's not what we were hoping for.

I'm still trying to find an alternative thermostat and I'm off to my local parts dept tomorrow, with what I've found. But BMW's reply that it would'nt make any difference doesn't bode well. This is born out by tales of good mpg obtained by members with stuck-open thermostats.

As for the motor being too (thermally) efficient, then why does it use so much diesel for the power output? As T-Cut said, it seems the cooling system is the thing that's too efficient! James' idea of restricting the air flow to the radiator has been put to me by others and currently seems the best solution. Perhaps someone can devise a way of diverting some of the air blasting through the grille into the air intake.
Hmmm! This is a long and very technical thread, I have a vested interest because I have a late CDTi.

As a more aged member, I recall that when I had classic cars in the 1970's /80's some of them had black leather radiator muffs fitted, which greatly helped in reducing cold air flow when driving off in the winter with an ice cold engine. Also London Transport even used a sliding steel panel on the RT Type double decker bus that could be risen in cold weather to reduce air flow, as the 1939 AEC engine was also thermally efficient, so there you have it folks, 2 vehicles 60 years difference and technicnically streets apart but one common souoution , Stick a muff on the front, I have and it works a treat!!!
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote