View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2022, 13:51   #59
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipsee View Post
I just waded though 6 pages of claptrap,,, in answer to the buss driving instructor DD busses get just about the worse fuel figures on this planet,,and all that stopping and starting plays hell with the brakes... Now all you old boys still driving old Fodens and ERFs and do,nt mentions Borderers ,those trucks where slow and the brakes where NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-,so of course you had to use the box to slow down,,modern trucks with auto boxes and very powerful brakes ,you still need to drop a gear but you can rely on the brakes .. The technique I use in my tourer auto deisel is this .. I accelerate slowly until about 50mph when the box changes into top,then I can press harder until 60/70mph ,then put on CC... Slowing I knockoff CC change to gear manually into forth ,slow down (no brakes ) then third at about 45/50 ,revs go to about 3000. For about the last 8years I,v been driving my 75 from London to Lincs over night ,so I get chance to really drag out a good fuel figure (47mpg if you are interested(on the A1) Having just retired after "yes" 50 years ,and after driving just about everything there is to drive I prefer the old fashion way ( gears brakes,mirrror signal maneuver )not always in that order mind...regards all
Modern buses and trucks have very efficient air brakes, hydraulic or electric retarders and exhaust brakes. It is only very poor driving or abysmal maintenance that could cause failure of all of these systems.
The recognised way to drive is, after the usual observations and anticipation, use the brakes to reduce speed. The 1st touch will apply the retarder and exhaust brakes, and illuminate the brake lights. Firmer pressure will apply the service brake. Then, when the desired speed is attained, select a gear and or axle ratio to hold the speed without over revving the engine. The engine breaking in unison with the retarder and exhaust brake will then do most of the work, the service brake doing minimum work.
Being in the correct gear at the correct speed minimises brake, engine and transmission wear as well as enhancing safety.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote