Old 9th November 2021, 16:07   #12
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Firstly congratulations to your Nephew on their degree

Just spoke to Marina on this and she simply said "A GP cannot refuse to transfer your records.". She said if this happens the first port of call is the Surgery Manager.

Her experience on the sequence of events is that you register with a new Practice, you are then allocated a GP. It is the new Practice that then request the records from the old Practice, not the GP as they do not own them.

It's worth noting that there are instances when a person doesn't know or cannot remember their previous GP or Practice and these people can still register with a new Practice and subsequent GP. All the medical history info in the UK is held electronically on what is called "System 1" and is accessible by all GP's on line using your NHS number.
Thank you Dave and Marina, I bow to your experiences and you are both correct. I feel its only half the story I am getting from my nephew, the other half I would need to get from his former GP practice. They might not talk to me because of patient confidentiality.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote