View Single Post
Old 9th November 2021, 16:33   #15
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
The system is not as patient-orientated as many think it to be. Only when they come up against a problem, such as this one, do thy begin to understand that it is a stich-up in favour of a GP's practice and its allocated turf to operate on. I encountered it when my allotted practice closed its doors and I tried to go to another, I could not believe the attitude of the practices I approached. I was shocked to discover that it was like ice cream van wars, each with their own little territory which must be defended at all cost. Why are you coming to us when you are not in our catchment area, I was asked in no uncertain terms by every single practice I approached. Go away or ultimately, we are not taking on any new patients was the response of choice that I encountered. This appalling state of affairs was well and truly clocked by former Health Secretary, Andy Burnham, who looked set to change the system had the then government retained power.

I went for some time without a GP leaving me with A & E at the local hospital as the only option had I needed medical assistance, which by the grace of God I did not at the time. I did however contact the local Primary Care Trust about my predicament and it advised that it could, as a last resort, instruct a practice to take me but it may not like it and it would be best for me to try to find one to take me on its books of its own accord. So, Phil, if you are out of options you could give the relevant trust a call to see what if anything can be done. Could it be that your nephew is still living in the catchment area of the GP who won't release his records?

My predicament as outlined above only resolved itself when my closed practice eventually opened its doors again when new GP's were found to run it.
Thank you for your suggestion about giving the trust a call, it may come to that.

I know from my own experience here in Bristol, not all GP practices are equal. Before I moved from London to Bristol 2 years ago, the GP practice in London allowed me to have full online access to my medical history and vaccination records. The practice I am with here in Bristol gives me restricted access where I can order repeat meds on line and see my allergies. I am not allowed online access to anything else. I have signed the consent form twice requesting full access, as I need to see everything to understand my health
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote