View Single Post
Old 29th February 2020, 07:02   #44
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Everything said makes sense!

I too have lost a fortune over the years buying new cars and trading them in 2 years later.

I think what puts most people off keeping these lovely old cars, or any other old cars for that matter is the problem of it being written off in the blink of an eye. Most are reluctant to invest money into a car that an insurance would scrap if it was hit by a shopping trolley in a supermarket car park.

People feel safer knowing their new(ish) car would be repaired in the event of a minor bump. Plus, there is the convenience side of things. Your newish car gets bumped, you phone your insurance company. Someone takes yours away, leaves you a courtesy car until yours is brought back as good as new, it's easy!

Having a car written off is a PITA, I know only too well as it's just happened to us when my wife's Suzuki splash was was under water just 3 weeks ago in a flash flood. You have to start trawling the internet to find a suitable replacement, it's been quite stressful I can tell you.

As for me, if and when my Rover needs new bits, or work it will get them. As long as nothing catastrophic happens to it, I will keep it running as long as possible. I am no stranger to the battle of keeping old vehicles running, motorbikes in my case. It's sad that we have just lost marinabrian from the forum, people like him have kept so many of these cars from an early death. I am fortunate in the fact that I live about 3 miles from BigRuss, another guy who's knowledge is absolutely amazing!

And why would I put myself through this? Why not bail out now? Simply because I have not driven any car that makes me smile as much as my Rover. I have not been in any car before that gets the senses going like my Rover. The whiff of leather, the old sideboard look that takes me back to my childhood. Sad NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- or what lol

Basically, it's priceless!!!

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote